Saturday, June 13, 2009

Lucky Discoveries

I'm still really sick, surprisingly, but I'm getting bored. I can't stop coughing, but I REALLY don't want to be in my apartment anymore. I'm in Tokyo!!! How can I spend the whole time in bed?!! (Even if it is a futon and not a bed and the futon is in Tokyo, which is really cool) So I drugged myself up and forced myself to go out.

I didn't do much at first, just walked around the area around my apartment, you know, getting to know the place. And to my great surprise, right around the corner, litteraly, is a cute little temple! It's actually not that little. It's kinda large.

Here's the entrance. Behind me is a super market and convenience store. Haha. Crazy juxtaposition.
Then you walk in and are greeted by this lovely thingy:

Along with this thingy:

And then this thingy, which seems to be the main part of the temple because people kept going up the steps in the back and praying and lighting incense and candles at the thing in front and praying.

Then there's a giant bell thingy:

And a large, ermmm, probably about 8ft tall statue thingy:

And right before you leave, this place that looks like a cemetery of sorts:

So I keep saying "thingy" because I have no idea what these things are or their significance. So I walked up to the guy who was selling charms off to the side next to the main shrine thing and asked where the hell I was. He looked at me funny and said, "tera desu," which means "It's a temple [stupid]." I added that last part. Anyways, I then explained that I was from America and had just moved to the area and I was tankenshiyo-ing, or exploring. (haha. yay Japanglish!) Then he gave me less of an "ahou-ka?-look" (that means an "are-you-an-idiot?-look") and started explaining things in really easy Japanese and I had absolutely no problem understanding him! I understood EVERY WORD he said!! That usually doesn't happen to me. Usually I just understand most of it or enough of what they say to get the general meaning of the sentence, but this time I fully understood everything he said!! Yay for small victories!!^^

But what's really weird about this whole thing is that it turned out to be a temple that people go to when they or their loved ones are sick. Crazy guuzen going on here. (guuzen = coincidence) So I bought this:


It's a little charm that's supposed to make me feel better and guess what?!!! After a while, I realized that all the sudden I DID feel better. How weird is that? I'm not going saying anything about my beliefs, but isn't it a little strange that I've been sick for almost two weeks now and all the sudden at feel-better-temple falls in my lap and the charm I buy makes me stop coughing? May the guuzens continue.

So instead of going back home, I keep tankenshiyo-ing. So I went out the opposite entrance to the temple that I had come in and crossed this cute little road right there where the little white lines are and found this great park!



Isn't it cute?!! It's really big too. It even continues across the street. The great thing about Nakano is that besides the park, the whole place is filled with trees! Here's the view of the street from a crossing bridge:

The whole place looks like this! Anyways, continuing on with my little tanken, this is the park on the other side of the street:
There's this little green pond with a ton of old guys fishing in it! Cute!


And I'm not kidding about there being trees everywhere. Look at this road. It's just a random road in my neighborhood not at all associated with the uber green park I just showed you:

It's really a nice place to live. Very residential. If I were to chose a place to live in Tokyo, this would be it, and I know I DID chose Nakano to live in, but I really just chose the cheapest apartment I could find and it just happened to be in Nakano. Another guuzen, a happy guuzen. ^^

But there is one area of Nakano, it's a really large area of Nakano, that is really close to my apartment that is filled with stores. It's like the shopping district of Nakano I guess and it starts at Nakano station and goes north.

Looks like this at a VERY unusually uncrowded time. I don't know why there aren't more people there; it's usually pretty filled with people.

It's called Ai rodo, or Love Road. Also cute, deshou?

Here's a little shop I found. The charm was really working, so I just kept shopping. Those look like flip flops, but they are really hard candy!! Crazy!! Needless to say I had to enter.

And enter I did and found these guys:

They were making the candy right in front of me! It was so cool!! This one looked like tiny lemon slices. While I was watching them, this nice lady gave me a sample of a strawberry one.

Also cute!!! I live in the cutest place ever!! I might go back and buy some stuff right before I leave as omiyage...

Then right across from that candy store, which is called papabubble by the way, is this weird little shrine looking thing. They're really big fans of juxtaposition, these Nakano people.

Here's another shot of Ai Road so you all can become very intimate with it. Or because I was having fun taking pictures every 5 seconds.

So this charm was really working wonders or I was just feeling a lot better from being outside or whatever, and decided to go to Harajuku to buy my sister these glasses that she wanted and go to Shibuya to shop at Loft to get my mom these pen/pencil combo thingys that she wanted. So I'm at Nakano station buying my ticket when I see these guys at the corner.


Sorry the angle's bad and the sound isn't great and you can only see the one guy, but tough. Also I'm not really holding the camera all that steadily but I wasn't watching the camera, I was watching them. haha. Also, I'm kicking myself for not filming the song they did earlier because I kinda liked it better. It was more upbeat and they were both playing the guitar. I don't know why the guy in front put his down for this song. Anyways, right before they sang this one, they were explaining that they have a live soon in Harajuku, but it was too fast for me. So, and I'm super proud of myself for this one, after this song, it was their last one, I went up to the guy in the front and told him that I don't really understand Japanese that well, so I missed the time and place of their gig and would he please write it down for me.

He was so happy!! He was super cute and just elated that I would want him to do that. It was so funny. So he wrote down the place and time, they are playing at アストロホール (Astro Hall) in Harajuku at around 6:00pm on June 20th. I also asked their name and he got really happy again. They are called 遊吟(ゆうぎん)"yuugin" and which I think means something like a troubadour or wandering musician or something of the sort. haha. I asked him if he had a CD, and then he got really excited and spoke Japanese really quickly but I think he said that he didn't have one with him today, but I could get one at a store either now, or in the near future. I think they had just put it out or are just about to. Then I said goodbye and he shook my hand with both of his, looked me right in the eye and said "thank you" really earnestly. haha. I think he was new to Tokyo. I really hope I can go!

Then I finally made it to Harajuku. This is the famous Takeshita street:

Where I did not buy my sister glasses because I couldn't find any. Instead I bought these earrings:
They're cute, right? Then I walked from Harajuku to Shibuya, went crazy in Loft and spent a ton of money, but also got to check off a lot of people on the "have to buy present for list," so all in all a pretty successful shopping trip. Then I went home, and when I was walked back to my apartment, all the sudden I couldn't stop coughing again. People were kinda staring. oops. But I got home and shoved my face with medicine and cough drops so I'm ok now. I guess the charm has a time limit. Like cinderella.

So let's recap, shall we? I luckily discovered:
-a temple for curing sickness
-a wonder charm that temporarily cured me so I could have a really nice day
-a cute little park, complete with pond
-a super cool candy shop
-a really good, undercover, indie Japanese music group with a cute, uber earnest guy (and also my future boyfriend)
-nice earrings

Today was pretty lucky. (^-^)

1 comment:

  1. See no staying in bed when you are sick, or you miss all this! Whatever drove you to go outside and explore yay-- Hi-Five!!! Only YOU would make it even better -- I love your pics and the way you blog!! Sweeeeeeeeeeet

    ReplyDelete