Thursday, May 28, 2009

Swollen Feet

Last night I went to a club called O-nest in Shibuya to see some live bands playing. Sam and I went, but we also met up with Joe, another friend from UVM who's studying abroad at Aoyama Gakuin right now. There was no cover charge, but you had to buy two drinks, and you had to buy two drinks from a special place, which we didn't know, so we ended up buying three drinks. Oh well. It would have only been $10 but instead it was $15. Still, that's pretty cheap for three live bands.

The first band was Soulkids and is the reason we went at all. I saw their myspace page and really liked their music, but they weren't that wonderful live. They were good, but not nearly as good as they are on their albums and music vids. They were the openers though, so it only got better.

Next was this really cute group called Aloha. They were really happy and whimsical in they're music. I really liked them. The lead guitarist was really good too. Kept thinking my dad would like him because he was obviously a blues guitarist. The whole band was rock, but had a lot of blues influences and also some Hawaiian island music themes, hence the name Aloha I'm guessing. I also really liked them because they all wore funky hats. ^^

They were also really good performers, not just good musicians. They got the crowd singing along too (me) "yume no naka made!" I guess they had just moved up to Tokyo recently from Fukuoka. I'm telling you this because they were telling the crowd IN JAPANESE and I understood it!!! Yay Japanese!!

For the last band, everyone suddenly moved up to the front so it was pretty clear that everyone was there to see them. They were called 24, pronounced two four, not twenty four, to my dismay. oops. way to not be in with the cool kids Hiroko. They were by far the best. They were pretty much strictly rock, but they had this huge 15 min or so jam session in the middle of the show. It was so cool! They gave the drummer, lead guitarist, and bassist solos, had the strobe lights on, it was pretty cool. They are all really good musicians too. Soulkids music was nice to listen too, I like the lyrics and melodies of their songs, but 24 are just really talented musicians. The drummer was my fave. He was pretty funny. Kinda crazy. haha. Would have taken pictures, but they wouldn't let us. poo. You'll just have to be satisfied with the wonderful image I have painted with my word-skills.

But! I had walked all around Nakano and Shibuya before we went to O-nest and the club was standing only, and I had decided that wearing heels was a good idea. So now my feet are swollen. Literally. Kinda puffy-like. Not cool. Worth it.

Guess what we were doing in Nakano? Getting an apartment! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have finally managed to secure and apartment. It's getting refurbished right now, but we're moving in Saturday!!! And the land lord is really nice. He's a really sweet older man originally from Ghana, so no swindling going on this time, I'm pretty sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment