Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sum up of my time in the US

The US is boring. That's why I haven't been posting anything. It's boring, no one cares. Japan is way more exciting, but I have actually been traveling a bit, and this is a travel blog, so I thought I'd just sort of sum things up here.

First, I flew back from Indiana with my mom, slept over one night in California, and then took a red-eye to Burlington, Vermont for school. I go to the University of Vermont, not the most exciting place, but me likes it.^^

I had a wonderful fall semester. I started learning Mandarin. My school teaches Beijing Mandarin, but I watched a ton of Taiwanese dramas so I'm also learning the Taiwanese dialect. Also, my school teaches simplified characters, but I decided to learn traditional as well on my own so I won't die if I go to Taiwan. haha. And of course still studying Japanese and Korean. Also, I got to meet a ton of really nice international students! I met 2 from South Korea, 1 from Taiwan, 1 from Thailand, and including my friends from last year, 6 from Japan!!

One day we all climbed up the fire escape on the tallest building on campus to watch the sunset. (The picture's a little West Side Story, don't you think?)




That's the view from the top of the fire escape. It's what most New England looks like for those of you who've never been. It's really cute, actually. Really pretty in the fall when all the leaves turn and a really wonderfully tiny place to study.


That's me and all the international students as well as some other college friends down by the waterfront of Lake Champlain in Burlington, Vermont. I've mentioned earlier that I'm a sunset whore, well here's another great sunset for you over the lake.


I traveled to Boston a few times this fall. Boston is a great city if you don't have to drive. It's only about a 4 hour bus ride from Burlington to Boston and it's a beautiful route down highway 39, especially for a Californian like myself. Lots of green.^^

I also went apple picking in both New Hampshire and Vermont! The one in Vermont was actually for the りんご祭り or "Apple Festival." They had taiko drums and everything...




After the fall semester, I've come back to California for winter break + 3 months because....drum roll please...I"M GOING BACK TO JAPAN!!!!! I'll be studying abroad for a year at 青山学院大学 or Aoyama Gakuin University in Tokyo!!!! But, the calendars of my American university and Aoyama Gakuin (which I will refer to as Aogaku from now on) clash meaning that I've been stuck in California until the spring semester at Aogaku starts in April.

But my wait is almost over; my flight is on March 23rd. So, starting now, this blog with now be updated hopefully weekly or so with my doings in Tokyo. I also plan to go to Taiwan and South Korea over my summer break, so this blog will (finally) no longer be only about Japan, but also about China and Korea and their respective languages. Yay, languages!!

Much to look forward to...

(p.s. all these pictures are courtesy of facebook, and most are from Akane. I stole them. haha.^^)

No comments:

Post a Comment