Saturday, March 13, 2010

Indiana

After Japan, I had to go to Brazil, Indiana to clean out my grandparents old home. My grandmother had passed away back in 2003, but my grandfather just died in the Spring of 2008. We hadn't gotten the time or the money to get ourselves to Indiana since visiting him in the hospital, so, my mom and I went out to rural middle America to sort through all the legal stuff as well as they're old house so we could sell it.

It was an extremely hard week. Emotionally draining, physically taxing, logistically and legally annoying. But, there is always a positive part of everything; it's a choice to see the ugly or the beautiful. I choose beautiful.

I got to spend a week with my mom, which is rare. We've always been very close, my mom and I, like Gilmore Girls only more sane. Since I went to college 3,000 miles away and then spent my summer in Japan, I haven't really gotten a chance to be with her.

Also, My mom has two step-sisters who were never really part of her life, but they came and helped us clean out the house. I really got along with one of them; had the same sense of humor. I've really gained a lot of family this year, huh? Two aunts and 25+ cousins in Hawaii. I used to be able to count all my blood relatives on my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment